Many personal trainers are experts in health and fitness, but they need help transitioning to becoming business owners. After all, being a fantastic personal trainer does not automatically mean you'll become great at running your own business.
The good news is that there are some fantastic courses out there that can help you to get the knowledge and skills you need. So, let's take a look at 10 of the best in further detail.
1. The Institute of Personal Trainers
There is only one place to begin, with our Institute of Personal Trainers (IPT) course. This course is designed to help personal trainers find their first clients and transform their businesses. We don't merely dictate; we teach in a manner that enables students to understand indeed.
Our course is split into three different areas:
- Stage 1. Getting Set Up - We will teach you everything you need to know to get your business off the ground, from adopting the right mindset for future growth to finding funding.
- Stage 2. Get Your First Clients - You will discover how to systemize your company, make sales without selling, market your business, and use your brand.
- Stage 3. Growing Your Business - What does it take to get to the next level? We will teach you how to obtain more leads and truly connect with people so that you build a loyal customer base for years to come.
Our proven model covers management, skills, marketing, sales, mindset, business systems, finances, branding, and more.
Our course is designed to help you every step of your journey, giving you all the business advice and guidance you need to thrive.
2. The PT Distinction University
PT Distinction University is an excellent resource for personal trainers. It is filled to the brim with valuable courses that can help you excel.
Some of the different options available to you from a business development perspective include the following:
- Getting Started As An Online Personal Trainer
- Sales And Marketing For The Online Personal Trainer
- Webinars From The Industries Greatest Minds and Leaders
- And much, much more!
Each course has a set number of lessons. For example, Sales And Marketing For The Online Personal Trainer consists of 40 lessons, whereas Webinars From The Industries Greatest Minds and Leaders is an eight-lesson course.
You can also opt to take the Foundations of Online Training, a course comprising five other courses, giving you everything you need to succeed in online training.
3. 5-in-5 Program - ISSA
The 5-in-5 Program is perfect for those looking to add more clients to their personal training business, as it promises to help you find five clients in just five weeks. An excellent option for anyone wanting to kickstart their career.
This ISSA program teaches you the following steps:
- How to create your perfect work environment
- How to establish a brand
- How to craft an operation plan
- How to put this plan into action
- How to cross the finish line
With this course, you give 90-minute live webinars each week where a mentor will guide you through the steps. If you cannot attend, there will be a recording. You also get unlimited support and access to a private Facebook Group to support each other and communicate with other personal trainers.
4. Lift the Bar
At Lift the Bar, you can choose from over 70 different courses. From business management to lead generation, you will learn everything you need to create and maintain a successful personal training business.
Not only can you access many courses, but there are over 10 magazines, over 120 webinars, and a whole host of downloads for you to leverage.
Lift the Bar recognizes that we all learn differently, so they have various educational tools and mediums for people to make the most of.
5. Online Coach - ISSA
Their Online Coach course by ISSA promises to take you from 'zero to hero' by teaching you everything you need to know to run a successful online personal training business.
From marketing to branding to sales, you will learn everything you need to compete with existing online personal trainers. You can enroll online and learn at your own pace. The exam at the end is untimed and open-book, enabling you to complete it confidently without pressure.
During the Online Coach course, you will learn the following:
- How to grow and lead a team
- Proven and effective selling tactics
- Business positioning and branding
- Social and digital marketing
- The best online coaching platforms
6. Building Your Fitness Business - Future Fit
As the name indicates, Future Fit is an online course that gives you the invaluable skills needed to build your fitness business. CIMSPA accredits the course.
The course is split into four different chapters:
- How to plan your fitness business - You will be introduced to all the elements needed to develop and build a brand.
- Marketing - Next, you will learn about marketing tactics, including social media, direct marketing, sales promotions, public relations, and more.
- Selling your services - This helps you determine ht attributes and qualities of a good salesperson, including good interviewing and listening skills.
- Managing your clients and your business: Find out how to align your services with your clients' needs.
7. Personal Training Business Course - Origym
This Origym course has been developed by highly successful personal trainers and industry leaders. You will discover how to establish and register a business, marketing tips, and more.
Whether going down the freelance path or working out of a gym, the Personal Trainer Business course from Origym will help you get off on the right foot.
The modules are as follows:
- Starting your personal training career
- Social media and online presence for personal trainers
- The fundamentals of being a successful personal trainer
- Providing online personal training services
- A salaried position at a studio or gym
8. NASM Business Accelerator
NASM has also recognized that it's not enough for personal trainers to develop their fitness, coaching, and exercise programming skills to succeed in the fitness industry. They also need to learn how to become business-savvy entrepreneurs, communicate with their audience and potential clients, and how to market their services to attract the right type of clients.
This business accelerator course will provide various tools, including instructional videos, lessons, business exercises, and quizzes. Here's what you'll cover:
- Core Concepts on Pricing and Creating Your Offers
- Pre-Qualification Steps to Find The Right Clients
- Rapport Building with Prospects and Clients
- Identifying Needs and Goals
- Presenting the Solution and Making a Sale
- Objection Handling
- Consultation Follow-Up
9. Personal Trainer's Toolkit: Build a Fitness Business - FutureLearn by CQUniversity Australia
CQUniversity Australia has developed this fantastic program that is all about starting a business in the fitness industry. The course lasts approximately 16 weeks if you are willing to dedicate between two and five hours per week. You can learn at your own pace, however.
You will discover how to use effective preparation techniques to set clients up for success. You will also learn about workplace health, safety, and mental health first aid.
Next, you will obtain the vital skills needed to maintain your current client base and network effectively to build a more prominent presence in the fitness community.
10. CPT + Virtual Training Bundle - ISSA
We also highly recommend the CPT and Virtual Training Bundle that ISSA offers. You will learn the ins and outs of virtual personal training and are guaranteed a FlexIt interview.
This ISSA offering is ideal for those who want to learn how to become personal and virtual trainers. Rather than taking separate courses, you can do it in one.
This course will enable you to provide your clients custom training programs based on their goals and needs. Give clients personalized answers to their health and fitness woes.
You will also learn how to motivate clients, assess a person's unique body structure, and communicate with clients effectively.
Enhance Your Business Skills and Thrive
So there you have it: 10 of the best courses for business development aimed at personal trainers. If you take one of the courses mentioned above, you are assured of enhancing your skills. You can refine your personal training business and run it more efficiently to achieve the best results.